Have you ever wondered what bone grafting is? In dentistry, bone grafting is used to remove bone from one section of the body and insert it into another, often the jaw. This will help strengthen the jaw and make it more reliable for oral health care treatments to come. For more information about bone grafting, consider the following:
– Bone grafting therapies will remove a bone from one section of your body or use a special bone grafting material to graft onto your jawbone.
– According to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, also called the AAOMS, surgeons will often suggest a bone graft if your jaw bone is soft, frail or thin, in order to straighten it to hold an implant.
– It usually takes several months for the graft to strengthen with the bone unless a very small graft is needed.
– Bone grafting is often used with dental implant procedures because if your jawbone is too weak or frail, your implant can fail.
– Bone grafting can be beneficial for a variety of periodontal dentistry procedures.
If you would like to schedule your bone grafting treatment at Fine Periodontics or would like a comprehensive oral exam from Dr. Norman B. Fine and our team at our dentist office in Greenville, South Carolina, please give us a call at 864-299-5900. We will ensure you get the smile you desire.