If your dentist finds signs of gum disease in your mouth, then they may suggest that you visit a periodontist like Dr. Norman B. Fine. You might choose to seek a periodontal practice like Fine Periodontics on your own if you have seen symptoms of gum disease in your mouth and wish to receive periodontal therapy in Greenville, South Carolina. Some of the symptoms that may necessitate a visit to a periodontal specialist include:
- Unexplained bleeding when you brush your teeth or eat food.
- Chronic bad breath that does not go away even when you clean your mouth.
- Loose, longer-looking teeth and a receding gum line.
- Having related health problems like heart disease, diabetic complications, osteoporosis, and respiratory problems.
There are also some visible symptoms you can look for. The inner lining of your mouth, called mucosa, should have a smooth surface and coral pink color if it is healthy. Changes to the appearance of this skin can not only indicate oral health problems, but more serious conditions like oral cancer. Some signs you should watch for include:
- White patches (called leukoplakia) or red patches (called erythroplasia)
- Sores that bleed easily and do not heal
- Lumps or thickened areas of the skin
- Chronic sore throat and hoarseness
- Trouble chewing and swallowing
Pain does not always accompany periodontal disease and other conditions like oral cancer, so it is important to keep watch for visible changes on the gum tissue, tongue, palate, cheeks, lips, face, and neck. Perform a self-examination to check for oral cancer once a month and please notify us if you develop suspicious lumps or sores.